Thursday, March 4, 2010

Long Time No Blog

It's been awhile since I've updated my blog. I've just been busy with work and trying to be the therapist that I know I can be. I know I have all the tools to be a good therapist but it is just so hard when deep inside you know you don't want to be at work cause you're not having fun. I know I tell everyone that my heart is in mental health and I think it's still true. I fell in love with mental health when I did my first placement at CAMH and it just opened my eyes. I never knew I could fall in love with mental health cause people associate mental health patients with crazy people who do crazy things (i.e. serial killers, psychopaths and just plain old nut cases). But after working with schizophrenic, all those stereotypes were broken and I got to really relate to them. Maybe it was because the patients I was working with were around my age but just to see them on a weekly basis and to know their history, their struggles and victories... blew my mind.

I know I should be grateful for having found a job soon after I graduated but geriatrics never sparked anything inside of me. Maybe it's because I don't and can't relate to them or maybe it's because the nursing staff that I've worked with and working with right now are just plain odd rude. It was never my first choice, in fact it is my last choice. At one hand I am having fun and proud of the work that I am doing because I know I'm playing a part in each resident's lives. And to see a smile or to hear that their day is a little bit better because of being part of a program makes me want to continue to give my all when I go to work. But it's when nurses who work and are suppose to prove them with care do minimal and sometimes seems like they are ignoring the residents because they have had enough without even talking to them to find out what the problem really is. I know being a nurse is a tough job and they go through a lot of crap during their shifts... but c'mon their pay checks reflect their hard work but their efforts sure don't reflect it.

I think that's the main reason why geriatrics is my last choice, not because of the seniors but because of the nurses and other managers and so on who seem like they are just there for the money and can care less about the quality of care they provide. It just frustrates me! Let's see how they feel when they get treated like crap and with minimal care when they end up in LTC facilities.

Well I guess today's update is a little vent from what I've had to deal with this week. And the bottom line is... I don't hate geriatrics, I just hate the nurses and other staff members who don't give 100%. ( I know there will be issues with nurses in mental health facilities but.... they aren't as bad from what I've seen and dealt with. Maybe it's because nurses who work with geriatrics think that seniors are seniors and they don't have a voice or don't have feelings.)

No comments:

Post a Comment