Monday, March 8, 2010

What A Way To Start A Week

Today started off pretty well. Went out for breakfast with some of the pt. to see how they do in the community and how they act around other people. Make sure they can handle different situations that they would encounter if they were by themselves. It was good to see everyone ordering their foods and the whole morning was pretty good.

But later I find out that one of my residents on my other unit passed away over the weekend. I swear I saw her last week with a smile and didn't look sick enough to go to ICU. I guess it hit me that some of the people that I interact with on a daily basis might not be there the next day and that I should give my 110%, even though my heart is in mental health. I think that news woke me up and it made me work a little bit harder today.

I was reading over her charts and bio before putting them through the shredder and just to read what kind of lives they lived amazes me and wish I could listen to all the different life stories of each resident on my unit. I was talking to one the wife of a resident and she loves to talk and talk about the past. How her and her husband used to work together on the farm, building and repairing their home and all the struggles and hard work they faced together. I told her she should write a book about her life (I would read it) and she said she thought about it but she isn't a good writer. It'd be nice if I could live a life half that interesting and wrote about it. It'd be pretty cool to leave something like that to my kids and grandkids.

That's it for today I guess. Don't be a stranger and leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment